Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My experience at the Paseo Arts and Holly Fest

I participated as a vendor in the Paseo Arts and Holly Fest, which happened December 17th and 18th at the Paseo Colorado outdoors mall in Pasadena. This mall has a lot of space in between the retail stores and the booths were located in this space. The promoter was very nice and he had volunteers to help vendors set up and to take down the booths.
The name of the show has the word "art" in it but the vendors did not match up to the title. There was a variety of vendors and some were artsy and some were not. It also seemed that the people at the mall were there as frequenters of the mall and not because they were interested in the Paseo Arts and Holly Fest. I didn’t have any customers that were interested in art.

I do not consider this place a good place for artists because the retail stores were offering high discounts and customers wanted discounts from me, which I could not afford to give. I cannot compete with retailers. This was not a good show for fiber art artist like me.

This experience helped remind me how much I have to research the shows I participate in before I sign up.

However, I met a great artist at this show and I am so happy that I met someone like her.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry this artist had one of the best locations, in front of Coach, and such a poor experience with her silk scarves, I was the promoter of the show. If we consider the wind, rain, and cold I think this assessment would be a bit more fair.
    An artist's products, prices, packaging, presentation, personality, persistance, perseverance, professionalism, placement, etc. all play a roll(I have "26 Ps" when consulting artists & small businesses). Also too, the gal who was right next to this exhibitor, the button lady, did over $1,100 in just the last 45 minutes of the show, consulted this artist to be more outgoing and sent us a fantastic email as a result.
    Not all shows are consistent with sales, weather, results and outcomes but after doing shows since 1980 as an artist/exhibitor I will always try my very best for all of us, I promise that! Kudos to all of us who stayed positive, objective, professional, dry and warm! Those who have already asked to return are certainly welcomed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. Drake,

    Thank you for your immediate comment on my experience. This blog was nothing personal against you or the show itself, it was only to say the show wasn't for me. All the things you listed do not change my experience. I won't censor myself on my blog or on my Facebook page. I had a good personal experience with you.

    In my opinion criticsm opens doors.

    ReplyDelete