Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Brentwood Spring Artshow


During the weekend I attended the Brentwood Spring Artshow that takes place on San Vicente Boulevard in Brentwood, California. I’ve been part of this show in the past but this time I decided to only be a spectator. I got the opportunity to speak to several of the artists participating in the show and they shared that they weren’t selling much. It seemed to be that most of the people walking the show were either only walking their dog or pushing a baby stroller.

I think that the show attracts artists because of its location, which is one of the most expensive real estate areas in Los Angeles. However, the crowd that attends the show doesn’t show much interest in arts and crafts and they also don’t seem very willing to spend their money on them.

I know many art shows exist and also that many artists make a living out of participating in shows all around the country, I just seem to have a very difficult time finding shows where the public is actually appreciative of the art and also has the resources to make a purchase.  

There are very few artists that truthfully share their experience about the shows they attend. Perhaps if we were all more willing to share information, we could protect each other and form a strong artists community.

No comments:

Post a Comment