Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Leyla Navab ArtSilk Meditation Cushions

Today, I had the idea of writing a blog about meditation, but as I was getting ready to begin typing something told me that a blog on meditation had already been posted. I searched through the archive and found the post Meditation Cushion, which is almost a year old. However, I do want to revisit the subject and share my opinion about it a bit more.

It seems to be that meditation is seen by many people as something "spooky" and "cult-like". Some people feel that practicing meditation will change their lifestyle, which is scary because change itself can be terrifying for some. One person shared with me that they practiced meditation for a long period of time but then quit. I think this is the result of not knowing the true meaning of meditation which results in unfulfilled expectations.

I try to define meditation in the most simple terms as a "stage of complete presence". This means that through meditation you enter a place of mental silence and stillness that results in total vitality; you don't feel fatigue, depression,  anxiety, nor boredom. Even though you do nothing, the mind is free, and it does not navigate through one's past nor future.
One of my personal experiences with meditation was when I decided to meditate next to the ocean for a month straight. I would sit next to the ocean and feel its energy and at the same time follow the flow of my breath. After the month passed I was able to release an emotion I didn't know how to face. Every time this emotion arose I felt powerless but meditation created strength within me to deal with it.

Meditation is being recommended by many physicians as a way to improve one's physical, emotional, and mental health. The Hammer Museum holds meditation sessions, which are free and open to the public, and even Dr. Oz says that meditation is one of the most powerful ways to release stress.

The most simple way to enter meditation is to follow the in-and-out of your breath. The breath is the only sign of life that is always with you and is ALWAYS readily accessible.













No comments:

Post a Comment